Thursday, January 22, 2009

Farewell, Zo

Alonzo Mourning is a seven-time All-Star, two-time defensive player of the year and a hero to many who suffer serious kidney ailments. But to me, a Connecticut native who was inexplicably a Georgetown fan as a kid, I'll always remember Zo from the Hoya team that nearly lost to Princeton in a 1 versus 16 game in 1989--the famous 50-49 game where Dick Vitale promised to dress up as a Princeton cheerleader if the Tigers pulled the upset. Zo blocked a potential game-winner as time expired, and my 11-year-old self could show his face in school the next day.

Then, as a Celtics fan, I'll always remember the shot shown below. I knew the C's had no chance to win championships anymore by this point, but losing a first-round series to this fake team with teal uniforms? That was unacceptable.  (Little did I know how bad things would get). Not shown in the clip: The uncalled goaltending violation Charlotte committed on Boston's inbounds lob play after this shot. I couldn't find a clip of this. If someone can, please email me. The Celtics won this game. Nearly twenty years later, I am still bitter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment